This $1,500 annual scholarship was created through an endowment by the sons of the late Mohamad (Ron) Jomha in his memory. Learn more about the incredible life of this Alberta Muslim leader. The scholarship is awarded to Post-secondary students who have completed at least one year of Bachelor
of Commerece (BCom) education, achieve an average GPA of 3.3 or higher and are still enrolled in post-secondary studies. Students must also be either a visible minority, or a recent immigrant to Canada, or both, as well as demonstrate community service to be eligible for this scholarship.
Award Value: $1,500
Application Opens: 1st July
Application Deadline: 31st August
Applying for: January Winter Semester
- Applicants must:
- be an Edmonton or surrounding area resident - the applicant or the applicant’s parent(s) must have resided in Edmonton or surrounding area during the previous 24 months
- have attained an overall average of GPA of 3.3/4.0 or higher
- be enrolled full-time in a post-secondary in a BComm program. (Full-Time is defined as 80% course load or higher)
- demonstrate community service & volunteer work of at least 100 hours within the past 12 months
- Averages are not rounded-up for scholarship purposes.
- All courses must be completed before starting post-secondary studies.
- Applicants must :
- Apply by 31st August
- Fill out application in full including essay questions.
- Upload one signed, current (less than one year old), reference letter (references from friends are discouraged and references from family members will not be accepted).
- Upload a statement of marks for most recent completed studies (Official transcripts are required. A photocopy or print out from a school website or report card is not acceptable).
- Strong applications will emphasize the applicant’s:
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Maturity and a commitment to their studies
- Motivation to be engaged meaningfully in their community and the world at large
- Students will be notified by email of the status of their application in early November.
- Once awarded, scholarship value will be sent directly to the student.
- Students must notify the Office of AREF of any changes to their application.
- Faxed, Scanned, or Mailed Applications are not accepted. Applicants must only apply online.
- Each page of the Online applications must be saved, and applications must be submitted in order to be assessed.